Monday, July 7, 2008

my woefully inconsistent blogging habits.

I am sorry that I have been such a poor blogger lately. I am going to try and make it up by telling you stories from the past, since nothing entertaining that's fit for public consumption has occurred as of late. So today, for those of you either looking for a cynical version of nostalgia, I will talk to you about the main joy of being a first-semester senior: Taking a lot of easy classes in order to boost your GPA for all those classy East Coast institutions that factor those grades into their admissions decisions.

I just realized how much I miss good old first-semester Prayer & Spirituality class, mostly because of all the comedy Diana and I found at the expense of others. For example, Diana could not stop laughing whenever anybody talked about their "spirit", and then we each got comments on our report cards about our "beautiful spirit(s)." We regularly slept during meditation, and I confessed to everyone that I played Barbie Law and Order as a child. Which is very true, and very amusing probably because it is so unsurprising.

However, this class was not just about the constant quest for unintentional hilarity. We also discovered the thing we can accomplish the best in the shortest amount of time: Making prayer services. We would divide up the work so that Diana would find readings, and I would invent discussion questions and slap some John Mayer and Keane on a playlist. Our services were on subjects as diverse as enthusiasm and anger, although I found our original list of topic ideas in my binder when I was cleaning out the Big Black Bag today, and here were our ideas in their exact original format:

-Dude Where's My Car?*
-Diana's immortality
-elbow injuries... perhaps add arthritis and broaden it to joint problems in general
-T-Schmidt
-innocence?
-integrity. no, seriously.
-God. unless we can make that broader.
-Kellie's glue stick smells like a winery

*Why is this a suggestion? We both hated that movie beyond all scope of human reason.

Speaking of emotions that surpass human reason: The episode of The Simpsons in which Marge stars in the musical version of A Streetcar Named Desire is possibly the funniest thing to grace our green earth.

No comments: